Saturday, July 9, 2011

Port Huron

Lake Huron has two recreational areas close to our campground, Sobus Point and Port Huron. Sobus Point is filled with bars and restaurants, and we celebrated our anniversary there last weekend. Live bands were playing on the waterfront and the crowds were large for the Fourth of July. Today we went to Port Huron, a much quieter but beautiful coastal village.


Like any waterfront area the houses are crowded together, but this place has larger yards by far than Sobus Point. It is a far more sedate place but far nicer to visit. Charter fishing trips are available if you want to try your luck. Haddock is big on the menu here, and it tastes mild even if it smells strong.
We've been at this park for almost a week now, and it's been a good place to explore.

Most of the park is filled with seasonal rentals; people who keep a space from April until the park shuts down in October.

They come up on the weekend to fish in Lake Ontario, or just relax by the pool.

Many of the residents are grandparents who entertain their families and some are retirees reading paperbacks with their feet up.

People who keep the same lot year to year plant flowers, build decks next to their units or put in fire pits. They personalize their lots in all kinds of ways.

Imagine my surprise when I found someone who shares my passion for

.

.

.

Flamingos!


And not just one or two!

This woman is obsessed with flamingos!

Even more than I am!

While it's true that I dressed my flamingos with more detail the sheer volume of this collection is almost - dare I say - overdone.







Some people might question the mental state of a person who decorates their lawn in this manner, but not me.


I celebrate this woman's vision!


She inspires me!

.

She awes me!

.

She kinda scares me, too!









1 comment: