Monday, July 18, 2011

Bangor, Maine

I don't know about you, but there's no way we'd drive past this sign.
I love lobster, and this is just the first of many stops in Maine.
I hope to grow tired of them, but I doubt it will happen.

It was a better meal than we expected for $12.95; but after a beer, 2 glasses of wine, a salad upgrade and a cup of clam chowder + tip we had a $60 lunch.

I've already bought a stock pot, and we plan to boil our own!


The word "wicked" is an adjective here.
I bought some cheese that was described as "wicked shaap."


This is the Penobscot River, named for a Native American Tribe. I love the word Penobscot and am trying to work it in most conversations. It sounded so familiar I Googled it and found that Hot Lips Houlihan from the TV series MASH married Major Donald Penobscot.


The older homes here are so beautiful.
We went to the historic area and found many were in the process of being painted.
I imagine the winters here cause havoc on house paint.
Very few homes are without flowers.



I love 'em all. I don't want to keep 'em clean but I love 'em.



Further in the neighborhood the houses become more elaborate.



And more...


And more............


These are the homes of the old lumber Barons.




This next home is really special.


I bet you can guess who lives here, but just in case here's a clue....

.
.
.
.
A close up of the detail in the wrought iron gate.


Yep - this is Stephen King's home.


It's an imposing home.
The house extends back for what appears to be a half-mile,
with two other buildings in the back.
We drove down the street so many times to get photos
they may have called us in as stalkers.

They claim a man shows up occasionally with "evidence" glued to his car,
proving that Stephen King killed John Lennon.

Why do I always miss the good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment