Thursday, July 7, 2011

North Central New York

We decided to take a week stop and look around the neighborhood.


The Erie Canal intrigues me far more than I thought it would. The pontoon boat above is meandering toward Rochester.

A shot of Lock 25.


The same area from a bridge crossing the Canal.



I'm also fascinated with the old buildings here.

The detail is so impressive.























This is our base, Wolcott, New York.

You will notice it's a "Village".

Every place is a village, there's no city or town.

The villages are only 5 -8 miles apart, and almost inter-changeable.



Downtown Wolcott's fountain with nude.

Don't you wonder why they painted it?





There are some lovely old homes here.





Many of the old homes have cupolas.








The details in the architecture are amazing.







The owner was having a yard sale and tells me she just had it painted.




There were three porches on this home. We've noticed that even the modest older homes have elaborate porches.

There are wonderful Victorian homes in the area, but I just haven't been able to photograph them.

Yesterday we drove past one that was in such a horrible state of repair it has to be haunted.
I loved it!

.


Across the road from our RV park is a farmer's market/nursery.




The flowers are so beautiful here; I suppose because the weather is friendlier to blooms than the heat in Kansas and Texas.


The cost is really reasonable too, (unlike diesel fuel) not only the plants but the produce.

.

Check it out.





These are the BEST cherries I've ever eaten.

I'm thoroughly addicted to them.

Door County Wisconsin claims to be the cherry capital of the world, but I'm beginning to question that. Driving down the highway every few miles a farmer has a stand by the side of the road with an honor system box.

There are orchards, cherry and apple, everywhere; and grapes!

If you did a wine tasting at every vineyard - Holy Moly!


I'm sure they make cherry wine, too, but thank God I haven't found it.
































1 comment:

  1. We enjoyed that part of the country in the early fall last year. We were on the east end of Oneida Lake.
    Sounds like you are having fun.

    ReplyDelete