Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Estero Llano Grande World Birding Center

Yesterday Candy and I went to the State Park that borders our R V park. I'm kind of ashamed to admit I hadn't been there before. This place is a huge deal to bird watchers who come here from all over the world (according to the visitor center).
The prime time to be here is late summer when most of the water sources dry up, encouraging the birds to visit the wetlands here.


Although we didn't see a lot of birds the grounds are very pretty. I did see the largest hummingbird ever!


This is a chachalaca. It's a largish bird that we see in the R V park occasionally. It looks as big as a turkey sitting on a tree limb, with large feet that are not webbed. It's really a different kind of duck!
(Added March 3rd - I've been told this isn't a chachalaca; it's probably a grebe, but isn't chachalaca a lot more fun to say)


[Added March 6th----IT'S A COOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I'm sorry I ever brought it up!!!!!!]

.
One of the hiking trails is visible on the right.






This looked kinda like a locust tree but I'm not sure. The seeds are definitely not a bird favorite.




One of the prettiest areas in the estuary where we saw one very impressive bird.





Isn't he a looker?
He was a brilliant blue not shown in the photo. We knew he was important because of what happened when he showed up!
.
.
.





Candy and I were way too casual birdwatchers for this group. I do wish I'd asked them what kind of bird it was, but I'm sure they would have been aghast at my ignorance.








A close-up of the mystery bird.









No comments:

Post a Comment