Thursday, July 22, 2010

Mt Hood part II

You'd think Mt Hood would be visible anywhere in this area- after all it's the tallest point in the state and can be seen 100 miles away - but it hides from you. You'll be driving along, come around a curve, and there it is filling your windshield. At one time I glanced in the side mirror to see Mt Adams behind me, as large and snow-covered as the mountain I was driving toward.


We drove up the mountain to Timberline Lodge, built in 1937 as a W P A project. I came here as a child and remember it well. I have a picture of me, my parents and my uncle and aunt standing in the snow here.


There are a lot of ski runs here but we only saw snow boarders. Most of the people at the lodge were sightseers like us, but there was a camp going on for the boarders and they looked like they were having a great time. (On the drive down I-84 to get here I was passed by a motorcyclist with snow skis strapped to his back)


After lunch at the lodge I decided to visit the ladies room. Exiting the stall I was surprised to find two Japanese teens washing their feet in the sink. I was both shocked and dismayed. Shocked that they had the nerve to do it, and dismayed that my legs no longer bend that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment