Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The John Day River




These pictures were taken at a campground my brother J.R. recommended, and I really enjoyed it. The picture on the left was taken from one side of the camper, on the John Day River. We were parked about 20 ft. from the bank parallel to the water. The bridge in the background is I-84, crossing over this river as it flows into the Columbia. The picture on the right was taken from the opposite side of the camper showing the desert terrain rising from the river level. There is a sign on the grounds stating that Lewis and Clark camped here westbound on 21 October 1805. Capt. Clark noted a "verry cold wind". They named the river Lepage after a member of the expedition according to the sign, but it's John Day now so Private Lepage lost out somewhere.
This area is only 60 miles from the last campground, but very different in appearance. The drive down is along the Columbia River close to the water level. As the river drops in altitude the wall of rock begins to rise, higher and higher, eventually reaching 3000 ft. in what is called the Columbia Gorge. I looked up as I was driving and immediately became dizzy. I'd never really had vertigo before but I felt kinda woozy for a couple of days.
We rode the bike 20 miles to The Dalles Oregon the next day. I visited my Uncle Russel here when I was 5 years old. He had a Boston Terrier named Roxie that would fetch, and it made a big impression with me. The desert landscape starts to change by The Dalles, and cooler temperatures made me glad I had John to ride behind. This reminds me to mention the wind again. It roars down the Gorge. We were warned by my daughter's in-laws, Dave and Nancy Burke, to drive the Gorge in the mornings when the winds would be lighter. When the state of Oregon puts up a sign that says "WIND GUSTS" they're not wasting paint, you better choke up on that steering wheel.
The next morning we took the truck and car to the closest town to fill up with gas and have breakfast. (In Oregon you can't pump you own gas, and they actually wash your windows for you, too.) Half way through the meal a woman came in and asked us if we had a little dog. It seemed one was running through the lot resisting rescue. Bella had managed to by-pass the security system in the truck making it possible to open the window, then jump out. She was very glad to see a familiar face and swore she'd never do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment