Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Boardman, Oregon




This is the view out our window in Boardman Oregon. This is the Columbia River and you are looking at Washington on the other bank. The river is flowing right to left, but appears to be moving the other direction when you stand and watch. The wind blows the surface water east while the current goes west to the Pacific. Yes indeed it's breezy here. Good thing because the temperature was in the 90's, and we've been spoiled by milder weather. More about the wind later.


Our first day here we rode the Harley around the area to check things out, going to the next town for lunch. Looking over my shoulder I was stunned to see Mt. Hood. I knew the mountain was there, of course, but I hadn't seen it before that moment and it appeared like magic.


The next day my brother J.R. and his wife Aggie arrived with their camper and spent two days with us. They had been camping and fishing in Washington close to the Canadian border, an area my brother lived in many years ago. Together we drove to Pendleton Oregon to see what it was like. Pendleton is smaller than I expected, almost looking like it grew out of a crevasse. The older downtown is interesting looking with lots of flowers hanging from light poles. We stopped in two antique stores looking for the juicers we collect with no luck. It was a nice day to spend with J.R. and Aggie, and I'm so glad we got to see them.


The eastern half of Oregon is desert. Why didn't I know that? I had no idea Oregon was anything but pine forest, but it's dry and dusty and windy. When I told my brother I was surprised at the lack of wind farms he assured me I'd see plenty as I got closer to the coast.


No comments:

Post a Comment