Monday, March 5, 2012

Mustang Island, Again

 We are back on Mustang Island, a narrow outer bank island off Corpus Christi, TX. Our friends Joe and Barb Stackman recommended this park to us last year and we loved the place. Gulf Waters is an RV park where the sites are all privately owned, and spaces are rented when the owners are absent. Some of the spaces are elaborately landscaped. The photo below shows an empty site that is kind of average for the park, with Bella wanting desperately to get in the hibiscus.


This shows the park and one of the houses built on the grounds. The park provides lawn care and security, making it appealing to owners. The prickly pear cactus growing in the dunes is quite large by mid-America standards.



Once you cross the boardwalk you're on the beach.


Days don't come any nicer than this one, not a cloud in the sky and high 70s.


Looking southwest toward Padre Island and the bridge to Corpus.


Walkers at 8:30 AM.
 We are bracing for the onslaught of spring breakers on March 10th.


Looking northeast toward Port Aransas, TX; the closest town and about 6 miles away.

We arrived here on March 1st, a day with more fog than I'd ever seen before. The air felt wonderful with the mist blowing through it after being used to the dry air in the Rio Grande Valley. Bella and I walked the beach for a mile or so even in the damp air. As it began to get darker the mist was eerily beautiful. You really could see it swirling in the air, reminding me of those old, black and white movies in the 1940s with Humphrey Bogart wearing a trench coat; or maybe London during Jack the Ripper's time. The surf was roaring in the background, sounding like a winter blizzard in the mid-west.
It was exotic and spooky and a totally new experience for me.


 I did have one problem with all that wet air though. I'd left the Valley with lots of product in my hair, and Wow! was that a mistake! My hair got gummier and gummier by the minute. I couldn't even run my fingers through it. The brush just locked up as soon as I tried to pull it through. No, I didn't take any pictures of me in that condition but it DID remind me of someone I'd seen before.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

2 comments: