Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Top Ten List



I have a Top Ten list of the things that surprised me most

about the Rio Grande Valley. Some of the items aren't really unusual,

but the numbers are so high I had to include them.



#10


The R V parks are everywhere! Everywhere! I thought I had combed the Internet
and knew what was available here but I only found about 25% of the newer parks - and the older places aren't even on the Internet. They rely on repeat
business and have no need to advertise. We have been here two months and I just saw another hidden park two miles away for the first time.

The population of the valley increases by 350,000 in the winter months,
and most are in the R V parks.



#9



The H E B grocery stores. I've written about this company before but had no idea
how huge this chain is. There are no other super markets in south Texas. Walmart
is the only other place to buy groceries.
H E B is the tenth largest privately owned company in the United States, and it exists only in Texas and northern Mexico





#8

The Dollar Store, Family Dollar and Dollar General are major retailers here.You can find two of the stores side by side in some areas.





#7



Texicans LOVE Church's Chicken!

# 6


O K, if 350,000 people come here every winter, a certain percentage will decide to stay here.
If they stay here it stands to reason that some of them are going to need help eventually.
Voila! A LOT of adult day care.


# 5



There are many, many bakeries here. Two other bakeries are in sight from where I took this photo. There are also tons of donut shops, and the bakery department at H E B is huge. The bakeries make tortillas, both corn and flour, which are staples here.


# 4


I expected to see license plates from all over the United States and Canada here,
but I was stunned the first time I saw a plate from Mexico. Duh! It's seven miles away!
(I was trying to find one for a photo when I decided it wasn't a good idea to cruise parking lots with a camera taking shots of license plates.)


# 3



There are a lot of flower shops here.
Three more florists are on this block.
I thought this was a culture that gave flowers for many occasions,
then I noticed that some of the floral arrangements in the windows were silk.
When I saw the cemeteries I understood. They decorate the graves here year round,
and they are beautiful. Even very small, old graveyards are loaded with flowers.



# 2


Water kiosks are on every other block. There is a water dispenser in two areas of our
R V park. For 25 cents you can fill a gallon container with filtered drinking water,
or get a gallon container of ice.

and finally!
the
# 1
Thing that surprised me in the Rio Grande Valley!!!!!







Seriously?
Seriously!
We are 7 miles from Mexico!
There are taquerias on every block!
Taco Bell! Are you kidding me?







No comments:

Post a Comment