Sunday, December 23, 2012

Pleasure Pier


Galveston's original Pleasure Pier opened in 1943. It was destroyed by Hurricane Carla in 1961 and replaced by a hotel, the Flagship.


The over-the-water hotel lasted until Hurricane Ike wiped it out in 2008, and the Pleasure Pier was reborn.



There are 18 rides on the pier, and all of them were open the night we went except the Pirate Plunge. More on the Pirate Plunge later.


Bumper cars in two sizes.


A beautiful carousel


Back at the bumper cars


We picked the perfect night to go. As you can see there were no crowds of people to fight for a seat on the rides. There were more employees than guests. We didn't even have to get off a ride when it ended if we wanted another turn. They'd just start it again!


One of those egg beater type rides that raises up 10 feet or so.


Coen sat with the pirate and Mom for a few minutes, then declared the statue to be "spooky".


Too tame after the egg beater

  ditto


Coen's favorite ride on the pier, Rock and Roll. 
Of course I got in the car with him. Every thing was fine for Grandma as long as the cars were traveling forward (at what seemed like 70 mph.). It was reverse that did me in. He rode the thing 5 or 6 more times with Mom or Dad. After this ride I did nothing wilder than the carousel and the ferris wheel




One of those sky swings. Three times in a row for Coen, 0 for Grandma!





The carousel I braved




Here we have the ride rules for the Pirate Plunge, a water log type ride that wasn't open that night. Waiting for the big kids; AKA Mom and Dad; to get off the roller coaster, I lazily perused the list.





Two-thirds of the way down I found the following
.
.
.
.


Guest with a prosthesis and/or missing limbs should speak to ride attendant prior to boarding.

I have a prosthesis. Two of 'em in fact as a result of mastectomies. 

And I certainly do not want to get on a ride that might interfere with their remaining a part of me.

When I checked the other rides I found the same warning on all of them. No wonder the Rock and Roll ride nearly finished me off.

No comments:

Post a Comment