Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Bloomin' Bananas

Can you guess what kind of flower this is?



Maybe if I back up a little...........




It's a banana bloom on a tree here in the park we're staying in.


These little bananas are about 2 1/2 inches long.
If you look closely at the first photo you can see tiny green bananas
at the top of the flower.



Another cluster even smaller.
The owner tells me this is the first year for the tree to produce fruit.
It froze last year and he cut the tree down, but soon after it showed new growth.


It has now spread to a total of nine trees.
Three have fruit on them, and the owner tells me those trees will die as the bananas ripen.
Note how the leaves become more tattered with age,
just like me.
I walk by this tree several times a day on my way to the dog park.
I'll keep updating photos on the progress

1 comment:

  1. We had banana 'bushes' in our backyard when I was a kid. The bananas never got more than 3 inches long and never ripened. Since Llano is further south than Louisiana, maybe these will do better.

    ReplyDelete