Sunday, September 25, 2011

Hickory County


We are camped a few miles from Hermitage, Missouri; the county seat of Hickory County.
I'd just assumed the county got it's name from the hickory trees that are abundant here, but I've learned the name is a reference to President Andrew Jackson - "Ol' Hickory". The town of Hermitage is named for President Jackson's home.

Hickory County is the poorest county in the state with the highest unemployment. Most of the businesses in the area rely on tourism; restaurants, fishing guides, boat repair etc.
The weekend traffic here has slowed to less than 25% of a few weeks ago, and during the week our campground is inhabited by less than 10 full timers. The marina is closing for the season today. I feel sad, knowing how many people will have to tighten their belts 'til next spring.

Hermitage had a festival on Saturday, so of course I had to go.

The courthouse is in the town square like most small towns,
and it was surrounded by craft tents.

It kinda looked like the Easter Bunny pulling a patriotic train. The cars were made of plastic barrels, and I saw some adults fit themselves in too.
The floral arrangements were SO cheap!
John is very lucky that I have no more room to display "stuff".
.
My friend Noelle checking out the billfolds.
.
Fabric art pumpkins, and yes, I needed one but didn't give in.
Where would I store it after Halloween?
There ARE some hardships with this lifestyle.
.
This bench, made of cedar, and the one behind it were on sale for $25!
The same man had a coffee table with a red cedar top and a base made
from a tree trunk for $50.
Even with prices like that people weren't buying.
Only one booth was very busy - the Amish.
They were selling jars of jams and jellies, apple butter, honey and baked goods.
There's no photo because I didn't trust myself to look that close.

No comments:

Post a Comment