Saturday, May 3, 2014

Another Knee Entry



I can't believe I forgot something so important in the last post.




This is a C P M device, or Continuous Passive Motion machine.

It is used to flex and extend the knee after surgery.

I was introduced to the C P M in my room the day of surgery.


I'd heard stories about this implement in the past; about patients waking up to incredible pain strapped to this remnant of the Spanish Inquisition.
I was already awake when they bound me to it.


Here you can see my foot velcroed to the foot brace. There's also a strap that holds the thigh to the top end of the machine. There's a hand control that allows the patient to adjust the angle of flex in the knee with a maximum bend of 120 degrees. It will also straighten the knee to an angle of negative 12 degrees. I had a better flex than most patients, but couldn't straighten my leg at first.

After 3 days in the hospital I went home to my very own C P M.

My P T tells me people tend to be evenly divided about the device. 
Some patients consider it torture and adamantly refuse to use it.
Others seem to endure it better.

Put me firmly in the LOVE IT!! column.

I fall asleep on the machine.
My daughter says nobody sleeps like that.
Her friends who are P Ts are stunned.

I should only use it twice a day, but would live on it if possible.

They are taking the C P M back next week.

I'm thinking of having a picture of it tattooed on my thigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment