Friday, November 2, 2012

Protecting the Plants

We're in Kansas, and it froze last night!
YES! FROZE!!
I don't remember the last time we experienced freezing weather but it may have been spring of 2010, when we left Texas too early.

It was clear I'd have to bring the plants in or suffer the lack of fresh mint for my mojitos. Well, of course I brought the plants in - we don't live like savages you know!!!

I watered the plants outside and waited half an hour. I then tilted the pots to let the excess water drain out. I got a plastic tablecloth, folded it to the right size and placed it carefully over the carpet. We didn't want to make a mess, did we?



My mint plants had a tough time with the heat this summer but have recovered nicely. I do take good care of them as I do love me those mojitos! As you can see they're in good shape.

Now let's zoom out a little so you can get a better look.



The little planter on the right shaped like a cat is filled with rose moss.
A pleasant plant but not important to mojitos.
That's a good thing!

Turns out the cats love rose moss. There was some interest early in the evening that we found entertaining. After we went to bed the carnage began. It must have been a glorious time, because the damage was extreme.


The forecast tonight is below freezing again. The plants will spend the night inside. 
Yes, the cats will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment